Bee Cave Homes for Sale
Search homes for sale in Bee Cave, Texas with our Austin Metro Area MLS Listed search portal
Bee Cave was named by early settlers for a large cave of wild bees found near the site. A post office opened there under the name Bee Caves in 1870. The City of Bee Cave is rich in history. The City, as we know it today, did not exist until 1987, but the idea of an area where people could live without the influence of “big city” government has been the area’s “calling card” for over 140 years. As early as the 1850s, Dietrich Bohls moved from Austin to his new home at the confluence of Barton Creek and Little Barton Creek.
The population of Austin had reached 900 people, and Mr. Bohls was looking for a place to raise his family away from the confines of the city and its influence. At the time, the land west of Austin still had Indians roaming over it; therefore, other settlers in the area were scarce. The Bohls family was one of the first families to settle on the land that would become the City of Bee Cave. The area derived its name from the colonies of Mexican honeybees that lived in the banks of Barton Creek and Little Barton Creek that encompassed a large area of Western Travis County. In 1987, the City of Bee Cave administration had its humble, but proud, beginning in a nondescript portable building. The City of Bee Cave encompassed a two-square mile area with 8,800 acres of extraterritorial jurisdiction.