With the winter and the holiday season arriving, now is a good time for homeowners to take some simple precautions to help protect their family and property from fire. Here are some tips that can help prevent fire hazards in the home and can save property and more importantly the lives of the people and pets you love.
Check holiday lights for fraying or broken wires and plugs. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines as to how many strands can be joined together, as a fire hazard could result from overload.
Enjoy indoor holiday lighting only while someone is home and turn it off before going to bed. Candles add lovely ambience to a holiday home.Never leave burning candles unattended, even for a short time.
For peace of mind, use battery-operated LED candles for a realistic-looking alternative that is safe for all. Keep live Christmas trees in a water-filled stand and check daily for dehydration.
Brown or lots of fallen needles indicate a dangerously dried-out tree that could catch on fire easily and quickly and should be discarded immediately.
Lamps, appliances, and electronics should be checked for frayed cords, loose or broken plugs, and exposed wiring.
Never run electrical wires, including extension cords, under carpets or rugs even temporarily as this creates a fire hazard.